The value of the Umthombo Youth Development Foundation-model has been recognised by a variety of governing bodies and has received a number of awards throughout the years.
- Discovery Foundation Award for Excellence (2007). This award allowed the Trustees to re-evaluate the future of the scheme and make improvements to the existing model.
- The highest award granted by Impumelelo Innovations Trust in recognition of innovative public private partnerships that lead to better service delivery to the public, based on an extensive evaluation by external specialists contracted by the Impumelelo Trust.
- 2nd Runner Up in the CPSI Public Sector Innovations Awards in the category "Public Innovator of the Year" (2008)
- 1st Runner up in the All Africa Public Sector Innovation Awards in the category "Innovative Service Delivery" (2008)
- Mail & Guardian Investing in the Life Award (2011)
- A special award for improving the lives of the youth through further education, awarded by KwaZulu-Natal Premier Dr Zweli Mkhize & MEC of Health, Dr S. Dhlomo (2011)
- BHP Billiton Achiever Award for the best NGO Training Programme (2012)
- Special Ministerial Award 2013 from the Minister of Public Service and Administration
- Health Innovator 2014 –Bertha School of Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Judging panel was made up of high profile South African and international health experts
- KZN MEC for Health (Dr S Dhlomo) Special Recognition Award for our assistance of rural youth in Kwa Zulu Natal
- Mail & Guardian Investing in Health Award (2016)
We believe that these awards are a testament to the positive impact our work has on rural communities and the health professionals who serve them and with your help we hope to take the initiative to even greater heights in the coming years.