For youth to be eligible for consideration for a scholarship they must:
- Be from the Umkhanyakude, Zululand, or King Cetshwayo districts in Northern KwaZulu-Natal, or live close to Christ the King Hospital (Ixopo) or St Patricks hospital (Bizana) or Zithulele hospital (Hole in the Wall) in the Eastern Cape
- Have completed at least one week's worth of volunteer work at their local hospital
- Have been accepted to study an approved health science degree
- Be in proven financial need
- Be willing to sign a year-for-year work back contract
- Be interviewed and accepted by a local selection committee
Once students have been accepted into the scholarship programme they receive a comprehensive bursary that includes tuition, books, accommodation and food, as well as social- and academic mentoring.