This year (2020) we are supporting 181 students studying 14 different health science disciplines - 96 of the 181 students are studying medicine! Unfortunately due to reduced fundraising income for this year, we have not been able to select any new students for 2020.
To be eligible for UYDF top-up support all students must have applied and received a National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) bursary.
Student Selection Criteria
For youth to be eligible for consideration for a scholarship, they must:
- Be from the Umkhanyakude, Zululand, or King Cetshwayo districts in Northern KwaZulu-Natal, or live close to Christ the King Hospital (Ixopo) or St Patricks hospital (Bizana) or Zithulele hospital (Hole in the Wall) in the Eastern Cape
- Have completed at least one week's worth of volunteer work at their local hospital
- Have been accepted to study an approved health science degree
- Have obtained approval for NSFAS financial support (UYDF will top-up the NSFAS support as well as provide mentoring support)
- Be willing on graduation to work in the public sector in a rural or under-served area
- Be interviewed and accepted by a local selection committee
Once students have been accepted into the scholarship programme they receive a comprehensive bursary in conjunction with NSFAS that includes tuition, books, accommodation and food, as well as social- and academic mentoring. Our mentoring support has enabled hundreds of rural students to successfully navigate higher education and graduate. Here are website details of 21 academic institutions.
Health Science Disciplines
Click on the career for job descriptions, salary statistics, education and training information and job opportunities: